Subject: Re: [Leica] Need Lens advice, please help!
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 01:22:05 +0100

I would second that recommendation for a newbie (I have both lenses), for
the following reasons:

1.  The 35 is easier to focus, first, because of the finger tab (some 50s
have the tab but it is more awkward to use).  In cold weather -- as in
Poland right now -- the tab is especially nice since the grease in the 50
tends to bind a bit which makes the focusing ring more difficult to turn,
requiring two fingers instead of one.  Also, because of the tab, you can
more easily focus the 35 with gloves on.

2.   At night, the 35 makes the camera a bit easier to hand hold (formula:
shutter = 1/lens length), so you can safely use a slower shutter speed.

3.  Greater depth of field as mentioned (but also greater distortion --
careful of close-up portraits: big noses, hands, feet!)

4.  Makes the camera a bit more pocketable.

5.  Less focusing ring travel from 28" to infinity, makes focusing quicker.

6.  Greater depth of field, as noted by Dan.

7.  More versatile.  You can always crop a 35 image that includes too much
distraction if you have to.

8.  Weighs less.  Okay, okay, no big deal here.

9.  Rectangular lens hood is cuter.  Okay, it's time to stop.

Having said all that, I use the 50 much more extensively.  Why?  I'm always
trying to cut through the clutter of  urban life.  The 50 allows me to be
more selective, more personal, more impressionistic, which I favor.  It is
more challenging to use, but maybe also more rewarding, to me, as a result.

Regards,
Bruce Feldman
Warsaw