Subject: RE: [Leica] Re:m-6 film scratching.
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:43:38 -0000

Gary

You'll certainly not have the cassette compatible baseplate, they gave it up
many years ago sadly. As suggested an M4-2 / M4-P baseplate could be happily
substituted. The 'ring with a gap in it' sits aginst the bottom of the Leica
cassette and the gap locates with a protruding pin which is turned to open
the cassette 'doors' when the camera baseplate is locked.

If all the scratches are in the same position, e.g. in the sky, 1/4" from
the top edge then it makes looking for the problem easier (as it could
besomething specific in the camera, though unlikely), if they are 'all over
the place' then it would point more to a dust/grit scenario.

If the camera is that new, it could well be within warranty such that a
check-up could cost you nothing. It does sound rather baffling, you're
obviously not a 'rookie' that might be making elementary mistakes, I'd
consider having it looked over by an expert, obviously enclose some damaged
film. the one thing that comes to my un-mechanically trained mind is the
relationship between the take up spool and the cogs advancing the film, if
the take up spool doesn't advance the film far enough then it will be
winding the film too tightly against itself compared to the transport of the
film by the cogs, maybe this could be a problem?

Jem