Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] M sound levels
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 13:59:42 -0800

Hans Pahlen wrote:

> I always thought all M:s shared the same shutter construction, correct me if
> I am wrong. Well, last Tuesday I took some pictures on HCB:s exhibition Les
> Europeans in Lousiania (near Copenhagen). To my surprise, almost everybody
> turned their heads to the 1/30th sound of my M6TTL.
>
> /Hans

The crashing sound of the decisive moment!
On Sound:
Is a Rolleiflex TLR quieter? Rollei 35?
I Know the Konica Hexar is and that there are others.

Another note is that for me, what I always imagined I heard the classic
example of when you need quiet is a Harpsichord Concert. Well a
Harpsichord is not a quiet instrument. You could make quiet a loud noise
and the sharp twang of a Harpsichord would drown it out. A Piano would
be easier to compete with. Isn't that riveting info?
When shooting events I would always wait till a speaker paused between
sentences before I fired. No one ever complained. I often used flash. I
know this sounds weird but I think when the flash goes off some people
aren't sure which word was spoken… it interrupts the speech or
conversation. I wait for a pause. They ignore you even if they can hear
you because of lack of sound competition.
Mark Rabiner