Subject: Re: [Leica] For Eric Welch; film scratches
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 10:02:22 -0600

At 06:29 AM 3/8/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Do you folks use the LS-2000 scanner? Do you see or have you heard
>complaints from anyone about this scanner, or other desktop film scanners,
>recording minute film scratches which projected or enlarged might remain
>unseen?

No we use a Kodak scanner that costs about 4x as much. I don't think the
scanner will be a problem in this case. It doesn't have much competition in
that price range, though the new Minolta 4000 dpi scanner sounds pretty
good, and only costs a few hundred more. They have special software for
removing scratches and dust, but I suspect they also reduce sharpness. I've
never had any problem with minute scratches. Photoshop can fix the ones you
see. If you handle your negatives carefully that is. As soon as  you pull
them off the reels, get them into sleeves. Use cotton gloves if you must.
But prevention is the best option.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch