Subject: [Leica] Re:m-6 film scratching.
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:27:44 EST

>	Someone a while back suggested polishing some of the camera film guides
>with a mild abrasive. What should I look for in a Leica that's on the
emulsion
>side?
>
>	Thanks for listening/reading. Sometimes it helps just to complain.
>
>- -Gary
> Gary S. Colby
> colbyg@ulv.edu

why polish the film guides? They support the film outside the image area --
you don't care if that area gets scratched.

If the scratches are on the emulsion side, I strongly suggest the problem is
the cheap felt they put in your film cans -- there should be nothing touching
the emulsion side of the film as it runs through the camera. Make sure that
felt is clean and dust free when you load -- it will especially scratch while
re-winding.

Check also film handling procedures while processing -- do you leave a leader
out and pull the film out of the can through that dirty felt again? Or open
the can end with a can opener?

Leica Casettes, needless to say, eliminate this problem entirely. too bad you
can't use them in the m-6.

ctrentelman
ogden