Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M6 scratching film
From: "Paul Klingaman" <pklingaman@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 07:19:35 PST

Is there any way you could shoot a roll, not rewind it, and unload the
un-rewound film in the darkroom?  Perhaps this could tell you if the
problem is with the rewinding of the film?  Not sure what the
ramifications of unloading un-rewound film on the M6, but couldn't it
give you a good indication on at least 50% of the frames?

Just curious,
Paul

>From leica-users-admin@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us Mon Mar  8 06:29:13 1999
>From: COLBYG@ULV.EDU
>Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 06:18:39 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:  M6 scratching film
>To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>Sender: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>Hi, Jim,
>
>> I personally doubt if your cameras are scratching film. The more film
used,
>> the smoother everything gets. It's physics...
>
>	Makes sense to me, but the scratching is undeniable (I can see it on
>the film, in some cases; I can't see it but it scans...on more than one
>scanner...in other cases).
>
>> I personally would suspect dirty film canisters. The light seal fuzzy
>> material can collect grit very easily. Where and how do you store
your
>> film...
>
>	In every case the film was not stored. It was purchased fresh, removed
>from the box and plastic container moments before it was loaded into
the
>camera.
>	It's showing up on all kinds of film, too. Tri-X, D3200, P3200, Astia.
>I first noticed it on Astia, where it seems to have been most
prounouced.

>> Do you reload cartridges?
>
>	No.
>
>> Anyway... look at things other than the camera itself.
>
>	Good advice. That's why I wrote to you. All the film is hand-processed
>by me. Loaded onto steel reels and into 16- or 32-ounce steel tanks or
the
>Wing-Lynch machine, there isn't a chance for the film to be scratched
from any
>source *except* the camera...
>
>> I have, over the years, scratched film. It never ever was the camera.
>> Always an external reason.
>
>	The only thing that I can think of is dust in the camera. If the dust
>gets onto the film within the camera it could scratch the film as it's
rewound
>and slides against itself in the cassette...although that seems mildly
unlikely
>to me.
>	What bothers me most is that I've scratched film too, described same
as
>you, but *never* to this extent and by my long experience with the
Nikons,