Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Tele-Elmarit first and second
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 1999 22:49:32 -0800

I'm amazed buy how much bandwidth this thread has gotten as you might
have thought it had been played out a week or two back and then another
week or two behind that.
And the idea of the smaller frame lines for the telephotos in general
are being discussed.
I have a small studio where I have a seamless backdrop and some studio
strobes and I shoot people in it.
My main camara (and I also use a Hasselblads and Rolleiflex 2.8f) is My
five year old M6 with a 90mm 2.8 Elmarit current.
I crank out roll after roll of heads, head and shoulders, half and full
lenth shots with this configuration and have a new 135 apo for the
heads. My favorite F stop is 8/11 or 11. My contacts always look exactly
like I expect them to moreso than when I use the 105 macro on the Nikons
or 85 1.8 or 135 and zooms on and on. I use the moterwinder on the Leica
just like I do with a Nikon.
I prefer the framelines of the Leica than the zoomed in groundglass of
the Nikons and Hasselblads.
On the other hand I conciede that the Leica M is more of a wide angle
orientated camera than a telephoto. It works out better on the wide end.
It makes for sense even if the accuracy of the rangefinder is overkill I
like that and it works for me.
But is not slouch in the short Tele department.
Someday not too far away I will get a Viso and also check out the longer
Tele and macro possibilities. Seeing some in action at the Denver LHSA
get together made them look not at all archaic.
Mark Rabiner