Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Tele-Elmarit first and second
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 00:48:40 -0400

Eric:

I think the distinction of difficult to focus is for full head and shoulder
shots, rather than eight or ten feet away.  I find that is the case  with
both the Noctilux and the 75mm Summilux.  If you look at my Noctilux page,
you will see that the pictures of Jennifer, Kim, and the unkonwn lady at
the bottom have the point of focus at not the optimal spots.  For example
on Jennifer it is her eyebrow and the wisp of loose hair, rather than her
eyelashes.  In the Kim picture, it is focused just in front of his face as
his leading shoulder is in focus.  These are still acceptable pictures as
was discussed earlier this week.

The other pictures on the Noctilux page are well focues because I was
futher away from the subject and the depth of field was not as shallow.
This is probably why your shots are in focus.  If you could get really
close, you probably would have a wide angle on, not a telephoto.  I would
just say these lenses are hard to focus on moving objects when at their
close working distance.  In the case of my pictures of Jennifer and Kim,
they moved an inch or two after I focused and before I released the shutter.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Noctilux.htm

Regards,

Robert