Subject: [Leica] Tele-Elmarit first and second
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 04:59:12 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote
snip
> the first and second versions of the Tele-Elmarit 90
>five and four elements respectively.
>We've been going off and on, hot and cold, love and hate on this lens
>for the 3 or 4 months I have been here. Both had a filter size of 39 but
>the thin second lens as 220g and the first made till '74 was 325g. I'm
>willing to bet the lovers had the five element and the haters like
>myself had the four element.
>I'm sure the people at Leitz who scaled down that lens that unreasonably
>far will all come back in another life as small unhappy rodents.
>For me it was a glitch in the Leica smiley faced pie in the sky along
>with the titanium paint.
snip

Mine (and I like it) is a four element. I thought it was the 5 element
which was considered "a glitch in the Leica smiley faced pie".
Unless I have misread the text Irwin's evaluation was Elmarit-M, 4 element
tele-elmarit, old elmarit, 5 element tele-elmarit.
BTW I agree about the titanium M6 but it is an anodic coating not paint.
Cheers Frank