Subject: Re: [Leica] =?iso-2022-jp?B?Vm9pZ3RsGyRCZ08bKEJkZXI=?= with LSM
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 21:53:49 +0900

Jeremy Kime wrote:

> To recap, LSM body with TTL metering, based on CS-1 body shell. 25mm and
> 15mm lenses (along with viewfinders) are available and the leather case is
> neatly (wierdly) designed to cover body lens and viewfinder. The hardest
> operation was adjusting the shutter speed to obtain correct exposure as
> one's finger needed to continue to apply pressure on the shutter release.
> Exposure is indicated with a set of leds (a la M6 TTL) on the back edge of
> the top plate.
>
> Biggest news was the revelation of a r/f version arriving in mid-Summer
> along with 35/50/75 and 90 lenses...
> Cosina are in fact bigger/better players in the camera business than I knew,
> they've made both camera and lenses for Nikon's bottom of the range SLR (EM
> presumably) and also lenses for both Vivitar and Tamron. So although the
> stuff won't be Leica quality, it won't be rubbish either.

Cosina has been making Nikon FM-10 and FE-10, as well as Olympus 2000, a Ricoh,
and a slew of other SLR bodies, based on the same platform as the new LTM body.
While these are inexpensive bodies, and feel so, they are certainly proven to be
reliable and perfectly usable.

I have been using the 15mm lens for over a month, shooting 5 or 6 rolls so far.
Its finish, as I posted previously on LUG, is pretty good, and so is its
performance.  Surely, it is not as contrasty and flare resistant as the G
Hologon; however, it is a great introduction to the super-wide world at only
about $600 USD.

> I also had a long chat with Uli Hintner, M.D. of Leica UK and his reaction
> was that this (and the new Konica Hexar 2) will be more trade for leica
> eventually. Although they need to 'keep on their toes' looking back to the
> Contax G1 arrival, it merely served to eventually increase M6 sales. People
> tried the 'alternative' found it lacking and settled for the 'original and
> best'.

It is rumoured that Konica will make an announcement at this weekend's IPPF in
Tokyo.  We will see whether the rumour is true.

Cheers,