Subject: Re: [Leica] Color Film and my resurrected Leica addiction
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:53:35 -0500

Ernie-
VPS is a great film! Unfortunately, unless you take it to a lab that
regularly runs "Trudys", "Shirleys" or what ever, and tweak the film
channels, you may run into a problem. In our lab we do about two or three
rolls of VPS and even then we have to make adjustments despite fine tuning
all the channels each week.
VPS is very sensitive to heat- it is not a vacation film. When I did
weddings, I took it out of the fridge on the way out the door, shot it, and
got it processed the next day or day after.
If your film was kept cool throughout, I would suspect that it didn't print
on the right channel ( the printer will not detect film type of bulk loaded
film, either, and prints any bulk loaded film on the last setting from the
last roll unlest the operator manually changes it!)
Kodak has a new film- Portra. They are attempting to make a series of films,
in this case, the Porta 160NC, 400NC 160VC, and 400VC where the NC stands
for Natural Color, and the VC stands for Vibrant Color. Supposedly the
reponse slopes of all four films are the same, and will print using the same
channel. I believe Kodak is trying this with all their films eventually. The
Fuji Superia films may already be there- I've printed ISO 100, 200 and 400
on the same channel and the results are gorgeous. In fact, you might try
Superia film- it's really nice!
Dan