Subject: [Leica] Color Film and my resurrected Leica addiction
From: "eferro" <eferro@tbscc.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 20:43:27 -0500

The Leica Users Group is the first news group to which I've subscribed so
please excuse me if I don't do this posting right.  I don't have any thought
provoking philosophical questions to post but I do have a
technical/preference question.

	I had a Leica II f when I was in high school which is about 30 years ago.
Camera took absolutely beautiful pictures with wonderful contrast.  I traded
it in for a used M3 many years ago and when I went off to college, lost
interest in photography.  Anyway, a few months ago, my daughter expressed
some interest in learning how to take pictures so her grandfather gave her a
Nikon F2A that he's had for about 20 years that's had all of about 3 rolls
of film run through it.  Anyway, I caught the Leica bug again and bought an
M6 HM TTL and a Noctilux.
	I had always used VPS as my color film 25+ years ago.  I did some research
and determined that VPS is still available for now, anyway.  I also
determined that Royal Gold has a bit of a following.  I shot a roll of both
through the camera and just as with the II F, the contrast and sharpness is
so much better than my old Nikon and my daughter's.  What wasn't too
impressive, however, was the coloration of the VPS.  The VPS had a
greenish/blue cast.  The Royal Gold was beautiful. Pictures were shot with a
flash in a gym at my daughter's baskeball game.    Both rolls were developed
at the same time by the same processor.  Anyone else use VPS?  Anyone else
seen this type of problem?  Anyone else have any comments on their
preferences for color film?

	Also, I just bought a used MC meter for my M3.  I just got it and haven't
sat down to figure out how it works.  There appears to be a red and a black
scale of f stops and a switch with a red and black button on it.  I presume
the switch selects the black and red f stops but what's the difference?

	Thanks for any comments.
Ernie
 eferro@tbscc.com