Subject: Re: [Leica] Things that Jim likes and the free press
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:28:05 +0100

Jim,

It is now time for Sunday family breakfast in Brussels. Your post
hereunder is tagged in my newsreader as having been posted at 19:17
yesterday, written as you were preparing for Saturday breakfast. It was
evening in Brussels, as I was getting ready to hit local nightlife, so I
did not download the Lug avalanche. That basic on-line hiatus between
worlds is one of the numerous weirdnesses of a mailing list such as this
one. People write to each other while in radically different time
environments. Some are having their second Talisker of the evening while
others are ploughing at files at work and others still are quietly
trying to get their private e-mail sorted before going to the office...

I had spent a large part of my day yesterday ruminating my anger against
your 'anti-press' post, while strolling down town with my wife and
daughter. I had also accidently met Lugger Francisco on the hunt for 2nd
hand treasures (wonder if he found anything). Meanwhile you were
sleeping, getting ready to post the warm mail hereunder.

I wonder how many disagreeable threads  become in fact disagreeable
because of such time warps, with their delayed time bombs and thread
revivals...

Anyway, this time I sympathise with your mail and its tone. On the topic
that started this, we seem to agree on one essential point: the
individual news viewer or reader has the responsibility of constantly
using his/her education and criticism capacity when in the process of
getting informed.

Where we disagree is that I see pluralism of sources as better tools in
doing that than retreating behind musical comedy videotapes: the free
press needs free thinkers. And vice-versa.

Alan