Subject: Re: [Leica] Response to the Digital Thread
From: Peter Goldberg <peterg@martinhamblin.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 16:32:05 -0500

Bruce Feldman wrote:

> Here's a quote I have in my notebook, by photographer Michael Kenna on
> technological advances in photography, copied from a magazine interview:
>
> "There will always be technological advances -- every day there's something
> new.  However, as the world around me accelerates, my tendency is to slow
> down and look for "center."

> To me this says it all about the value of the Leica "M" and just a couple of
> lenses and B&W film.  A take-off on a quote by novelist David Lodge, also from
> my notebook:
>
> "Most people in photography are perfectionists.  They may be shooting crap,
> printing crap, exhibiting crap, but they try and make it *perfect* crap."
>
> Bruce Feldman
> Warsaw, Poland

I agree with you and the sentiments entirely; but for the record Kenna is a
Hasselblad man (& possibly view camera too) but I guess that is determined by
the subjects that engage his interest - a pictorialist ? a "new topographer" ? I
dunno, but his work really gets me going.

Peterg

"...just an angle on a curve"