Subject: [Leica] Response to the Digital Thread
From: "Bruce Feldman" <brucef@waw.pdi.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 22:08:15 +0100

Here's a quote I have in my notebook, by photographer Michael Kenna on
technological advances in photography, copied from a magazine interview:

"There will always be technological advances -- every day there's something
new.  However, as the world around me accelerates, my tendency is to slow
down and look for "center."  I do not see many good reasons for jumping
aboard this [digital] bandwagon.  I find the simpler the technology, the
more freedom I have to look within myself.  Exquisite music still comes from
very old instruments... Old and new can live side-by-side in peaceful
coexistence; one does not replace the other, the repertoire just expands.  I
suggest, though, that if we strive for perfect, digitally processed images
and prints, the further away we might get from our fallibility and
accident-prone humanity.  I believe it is important to allow for
accident-prone humanity.  I believe it is important to allow for accident
and not be too controlling."

To me this says it all about the value of the Leica "M" and just a couple of
lenses and B&W film.  If I was a pro and had to worry about bringing home
the bacon, I, too, would go for all the technological help I could get.  But
if I did have to do that, I don't think photography would be that much fun
anymore.  I think the "M" is the ultimate amateur camera (in the very best
sense of that word).  And also in that sense, less is more, IMHO.

A take-off on a quote by novelist David Lodge, also from my notebook:

"Most people in photography are perfectionists.  They may be shooting crap,
printing crap, exhibiting crap, but they try and make it *perfect* crap."

Bruce Feldman
Warsaw, Poland