Subject: Re: [Leica] Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:36:59 -0500
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:01:56 -0800

Peterson_Art@hq.navsea.navy.mil wrote:
>        And if, as Eric suggested, the NGO also "can't afford not to pay
>      for it," then one can sympathize with the NGO facing that dilemma, no?

No.  Not long ago I had a discussion with local children's hospital
about doing photos for ads.  As we worked through things they finally
said, we are a hospital and don't really have money for this and it is a
good cause.  I pointed out the window at a parking lot full of Mercedes
and BMWs and asked if I brought in one of my daughters whether the staff
would do the service for free.

That ended that negotiation.

Interestingly, I have had conversations with a woman who has been to 25
countries working on the print and video production of materials the
NGOs need for fund raising.  She said the single biggest tool that
brings in money to the agencies is good photography, heart rending
images that connect conscience to pocketbook.

Should we sympathize with an organization which wants to scimp on the
very thing that could bring them income?

donal

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego