Subject: Re: [Leica] Drying marks
From: Bill Welch <welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 20:49:48 -0500

Martin, I'd suggest you try a couple changes in your methods.
	 If you are using Kodak Photo-Flo, I suggest you use half their
recommended amount of solution in water. The film scum seems to accumulate
from too much solution. I prefer the alternative wetting agent sold by
Edwal, with the minimal recommended solution per liter.
	Also, your five minute soak strikes me as excessive. I just dip the film
in for 10 or 15 seconds, then remove it. This is a surface wetting agent,
so I see no purpose in a long soak. Then, I hang the negatives directly in
my film dryer. I do not like to squeege film if I can avoid it.
	I also do not agitate. Agitation creates foam. Foam and bubbles are what
you do not want on your negatives.
	I mix the solution in distilled water exclusively. Tap water, even
filtered, will still contain some minerals and other impurities. Even if
you're using unfiltered water to wash, I'd like that final bath to be as
pure as you can get it, since what's left behind will be stuck to your
film. That's my opinion, anyway. Good luck.

Bill