Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 12:05:59 -0800

Last September, I went through the x-ray checks at San Francisco airport,
New York airport (twice), the Chunnel (train station), and the Amsterdam
airport. My daughter and I had 170 rolls of film, neatly packed in five one
gallon ziplock bags (34 rolls per bag). We got all film hand checked at all
x-ray check stations.

The Amsterdam airport required a thirty minute security debriefing before
even getting to the check-in counter. They were brutally inquisitive about
everything, down to "why is Denise Connell (my daughter's best friend who
was traveling with us)  last name different than yours? and why is she
traveling with you?" There was also a checked luggage pre-scan. Armed
guards everywhere. At the gate, with armed guards standing by, as well as
armed guards on the tarmac by the plane. We knew about the high security so
arrived at the airport two hours early. We got to the gate where the x-ray
machine was, before the x-ray crew arrived. When they arrived, I went over
and asked if I could get a hand check of my film. They replied "no". I then
handed them one of the ziplock bags with neatly lined-up film cartridges
there-in. He said, "oh! this looks easy." "Yeah I'll hand check your film."
So I handed him the other four bags. They kept the film on their side until
the station officially opened and we went through. I then collected the film.

So, generally speaking, if you plan ahead, make it easy for them, and time
it right, you can "generally" get your film hand inspected. Traveling in
the US and Europe, I have always been able to get my film hand checked.
Even in Rome a few years ago. ALWAYS be nice. Treat them like human beings.
A smile and that "begging" look goes a long way.

Jim

PS... quite often with the lead bags, the newer x-ray machines will "crank
up the volume" until they can see into it. So as of a couple of years ago,
lead bags have been discouraged.