Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Film, Cameras, Customs & France
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 18:04:19 -0500

At 12:05 PM 2/17/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Jim
>
>PS... quite often with the lead bags, the newer x-ray machines will "crank
>up the volume" until they can see into it. So as of a couple of years ago,
>lead bags have been discouraged.

Jim,

From the information put out by ASMP, this is only true for checked
baggage.  There is no way to "crank up the volume" on the hand-luggage
machines.  They may adjust their monitors, etc., but there is only one
level of x-ray.  Checked baggage is another matter and your film will be
toast in lead bags.  I use them when I know I'll be going through more than
4 or 5 machines with the same film in parts of the world where more
security is the norm rather than the exception.

Leically,

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP

http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html