Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Tri-X and Kodak vs Ilford?
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 05:54:36 EST

Jim and Peter:

After about a 20 year photography hiatus I got back into it last year.  I was
shocked at how little it had changed with the exception of the film category.
Being very familiar with Kodak it was only natural that I began using their
latest product which was Tmax.  After going through about a dozen rolls I was
becoming very discouraged  and began to consider spending more time on other
interests.  As a "last ditch" effort I tried Delta 100 and it was like the sky
opened up and shined.  I have since gone back several times to try Tmax and it
just doesn't work for me.  At this time the only Kodak product that I use is
Xtol.   There are rumors that Ilford will introduce, in the near future, an
ascorbic acid based liquid developer to compete with Xtol.  Perhaps I just
don't know what I am doing with Tmax but the difference is dramatic for me.

I was taking some pictures of a barn the other day and this young man stopped
to talk to me.  He was a student of photography at a local college.   As I was
that anyone else made film but Kodak.  The only film that he had ever used was
Tmax.  Talk about a generation gap!  Needless to say, I suddenly felt very
old.   I gave him some Delta 100 and asked him to let me know how it worked
for him.

Before it gets started I do not work for  Ilford, in fact I don't work at all.
The Ilford line of products is very easy to use.  I love their liquid
chemicals and papers.  Their website provides a lot of information and I wish
that I could justify owning their  variable contrast enlarger head.  While
Kodak has ventured away from the low volume amateur Ilford has focused their
attention on them.

I love to hear about the film/developer combinations that work for other
LUGGERS.  Unfortunately, Tmax has made it very difficult for me to consider
Kodaks products.  Perhaps I am not handling it properly.

Thanks for listening.

Bob Bedwell

<< At 06:18 PM 2/15/99 -0800, you wrote:
 >Not ridiculous at all.  Only people I know who use Tri-X are you and several
 >LUGs.  Everyone else uses TMax or T400CN. ;-]
 >
 >Peter K

 Peter,

 Kodak is not known for continuing to manufacture a product that doesn't
 sell. Look at Super-XX and Pan-X.

 Kodak supplies Tri-X in:

 35mm/24
 35mm/36
 35mm/50'
 35mm/100'
 120
 220
 70mm/100'
 2-1/4 x 3-1/4 sheet
 4x5
 5x7
 8x10

 Doesn't sound to me like Tri-X is a slow seller. In reality, there is a
 "HUGE" base of professional and amateur photographers that use tons of
 Tri-X. TMax is not a panacea and T400CN is not a true B&W film, as it
 requires C41.

 :)

 Jim