Subject: Re: [Leica] Uses of M series - M2/M6 rangefinder spot brightness
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:38:33 -0400

Simon:

Regarding the less bright rangfinder patch on you M6 versus M2, I noticed
the same when I got an M6 and compared it to an M4.  At some point, Leica
started using a different system for the rangefinder.  I don't know if they
switched from a prism to a mirror or visa versa, but whatever they did made
it more prone to flare and a little less bright because of this.  A M6
rangefinder will white out sometimes when there is a harsh light source
hitting the rangefinder window, while the M2-M4 won't do this.

Perhaps the more knowedgeable on the list can explain it further.

Regards,

Robert Stevens