Subject: [Leica] RE: M6 user/collectible!
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 22:43:44 -0800

Peter,

The number of "special edition" Leica's sold is minuscule compared with
their "regular" camera business. Of course it's pure profit as these
cameras never return for warranty repair... they are never used. So I have
to hand it to Leica for stimulating this profitable sideline. All of the
dealers that I know, who bought Einstuck Leicas, still have most of them.
This is not exactly a business to sustain a large company. Many of the
"special editions" sell originally at a huge discount. It's after they are
all sold that their worth increases. This worth is not in any way passed
back to Leica. It's simply between collectors.

Anyway, there are an awful lot of us that have been using Leica equipment
for a hellova long time. I personally do not know a single Leica collector.
What I'm saying is that throughout the world, there is one hell of a lot of
"real Leica users", who buy "new" equipment, for both amateur and
professional use. This is why Leica is successful. They make a camera that
is unique and is a workhorse. There are a lot of "real" photographers
behind Leica. Leica doesn't compete in the whiz-bang auto everything arena.
They don't have to. Leica photographers, typically are photographers that
know the photography process and wish to personally control all aspects of
the experience.

The fact that the "old" stuff is collectable is a feather in Leica's cap.
It breeds comradery and dedication. The fact that Leica lenses are as good
as you can get helps as well.

Leica is alive and well because "real photographers" buy Leicas, and
photograph using Leicas.

The Einstuck, LHSA, Safari, M6J, etc... are simply frosting on the cake.
The cake would be just as good without them.

Just because a company is successful and revered enough to be "able" to
produce commemorative models, doesn't in any way mean that "this" is their
business. It is simply a nice adjunct.

Jim