Subject: Re: [Leica] Winder M questions
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:42:45 -0800

Boreham wrote:

> At a camera fair in Derby (UK) yesterday I picked up a Leica Winder M
>  current type 14403) for what I think was a good price (£125). After all the
> bad comments on the LUG I am very pleasantly surprised by it, and will
> definitely use it on suitable occasions. Three questions I would be very
> grateful for answers to:-
> (1) Is it necessary or advisable to switch the winder to the off position
> when not using it? When the winder is not attached it winds continuously if
> switched on, so when attached what is stopping it trying to go? Does it
> switch itself off if the camera is stopping it winding on?
> (2) If the winder is switched off, is it OK to wind on manually with the
> camera's lever if there is a need mid film, eg min noise. Does the winder
> mind being driven by the camera in this situation?
> (3) At the end of the first test film, I couldn't push the rewind lever down
> and had to remove the winder before it would move. Repeat tests have been
> OK. Any advice?
> Thanks very much for any input
> By the way there was a V35 at the fair for £395  or offers. I was told by
> another stallholder he would take £300 in cash for it. If I did 35mm only or
> had space for two I would have jumped.
> Mike

I shot a couple of rolls in my studio with mine this weekend. It is my
impression that if you forget to turn it off it drains the meter
batteries. The ones in the motor lasts for 6 months to a year no mater
how much you shoot or how often you leave it turned on. But its those
little ones that cost money. Mine was left on at one point this weekend
I don't know for how long so I'm going nowhere without my backup meter batteries.
Yes you can use it as a counterbalance with it's turned off. The thumb
advance works fine. Its nice the way it advaces your film if you hadn't
when you turn it on.
At the end of the roll its a little scary as the situation seems to be
under a lot of tension. I always hit the rewind lever as fast as I can
with a smooth motion and all that. I've had no problems.
This is my experience with my particular camera and motor. I don't know
how much yours might vary.
Mark Rabiner