Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 winder problems
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 13:29:17 -0800

Harrison McClary wrote:

> >If the winder is quirky how about the motor? Isn't than an option? Has
> >it been around longer, made more solid. Maybe it's worth the added
> >weight and cost if it has less problems?
> >Mark Rabiner
>
> Mark,
>
> The motor is the most awesome piece of electronic engenering yet devised
> anywhere in the world.  It does at least 12fps, auto bracketing, auto
> rewind, decisive moment indicator so you never miss THE photo agian...all
> this while being entirely invisible...No living soul has yet to see this
> marvel, but it works better than any other attatchment for the R8.  No
snip

I saw a book/manual for the R8 this weekend at Camera World in Portland
Oregon while I was checking out the contax 654. It mentioned the motor
as if it were a done deal; an available option.
Having no autofocus is kind of cool in a hard core kind of way but when
you add to that not only no built in winder, but an add-on that won't
work you've got the shooters staying away in droves and their investors
freezing their assets.
I remember in the film Apollo 13 when they had the room filled with
people figuring how to get the capsule back using garden hose and so on
... a room filled with their top geniuses. Did they call in Feynman?
Well anyway Leica should do the same thing. Declare a state of
emergency. Resurrect the great brains of the dead. Nobody goes home till
we figure this thing out.
An SLR without winder option is like a fish swimming to architecture.
Mark :-) Rabiner