Subject: Re: [Leica] Opinions on Winder (MR-4) ok! MR-2!!!
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 15:09:08 -0500

Bob Keene/Karen Shehade wrote:

> Ted and everyone-
>
> thanks for the feedback on the Winder. (OK Walt- I know I screwed up with
> the "MR-4" listing! I'm new to Leica- and what the Hell's a "NOOKY"!??!-
> never mind, my wife'll kill me if I go around trying to find out!)
> I guess I'll save my $$ towards a Tom A winder. I'm still not real clear on
> HOW it operates; do you squeeze with your first and second fingers??
> Is film loading significantly slowed down, i.e. Do you have to remove the
> winder, THEN open the bottom?
>
> thanks all...
> Bob Keene

Bob,

The winder rocks. Pretend it's your baseplate when you take it off or
put it on. You'll barely notice the difference. To use it, flip out the
lever. I use my third and fourth fingers to advance film and my index
finger on the lens focusing tab to focus. Some use index and thumb on
lens to focus if it doesn't have the tab. Aperture ring falls right in
place as well. I find my hand fits the rapidwinder nicely eliminating
the need for a grip. Also, as has been pointed out, the flip out lever
is handy for stabbing someone in self defense. Or offense if you're so
inclined.

Carl Socolow