Subject: Re: [Leica] LUG Darkroom User Survey
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 23:23:29 -0500

D Khong wrote:

> Friends
>
> At the latest count on Sat, 6th Feb in my time zone, there were 34 of us
> who are into darkroom printing.  Assuming that the actual number of
> darkroom enthusiasts is correct this would work out to about 5 percent of
> the LUG.
>
> The Focotar-2 is highly regarded amongst those who have used and tested it,
> and many would put its performance on par with the best that Nikon,
> Schneider and Rodenstock has to offer.
>
> I am sure many of use would love to see Solms bring out a top notch
> enlarging lens at least for the 35mm format.   If people are willing to
> spend $2000 or more on a camera lens alone, a $x99.99 APO-Focomat-3 is a
> very reasonable investment to bring out the best in the best.  Solms should
> explore this corner of the market seriously.
>
> Dan K.

Add me to the list for darkroom printing. I'll be spending the day in
there tomorrow working on some prints for an upcoming display. But
honestly I don't worry about one more lens that Leica needs to
manufacture or that I have to buy. There comes a point of diminishing
return when the whole point of photography is a pursuit of technical
best rather than doing or content. Some pretty amazing photographs have
come down to us through time and they weren't printed or photographed
through the best glass or cameras. I have a 35mm Summaron 3.5 LTM that
still knocks the socks off most of my Canon lenses. It's absolutely
amazing glass, at least 40+ years old and hardly state of the art. IMHO.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/