Subject: [Leica] Rec.photo.equipment.35mm
From: nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie (Neil Frankish)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:36:48 +0100

I often follow the discussions in the above newsgroup, particularly the
reccurrent Leica vs the rest threads, with amusement. I usually lurk, but
jumped in, expecting to need an asbestos (or Nomex to be environmentaly
aware) suit, but it seemed to end the thread! I repeat it here, to the
converted, for your perusal.

Neil.

Leica or Nikon (or something similar :) )

After following this and similar threads for quite a while, I thought I
might wade in with some general points. There has been a lot of
discussion about the questionable optical superiority of Leica (or
Zeiss) glass - that they may be good, but Nikon, Cannon etc are equally
as good, or if not, any leica superiority is not detectable to the naked
eye in a finished print or slide. That the people that own Lieca lenses
are snobs that like to *think* they have the best lenses, but are
deluding themselves. Much of the debate is based upon the high cost of
Leica, that any superiority in sharpness, Bokeh, contrast or flare
suppression is not worth all that extra money. If leica were not so
expensive, there would probably be a less heated debate (or maybe not!
- -Nikon V Cannon ad nauseam :) )

I would like to put to you the idea that Leica is not expensive, as a
consequence of the generally recognised superior build quality (I'm
talking M here, no experience of R). Divide the expected service life of
an M camera or lens by the purchase price and I expect (though I haven't
done the calculations) that the result would compare very favorably with
any other make. Furthermore, Leica holds its second hand value better
than other brands (i.e. divide difference in second hand and new prices
by age and make the same comparison).

Of course, I you like or need all the bells and whistles, then that is
an entirely different factor that must be considered.

I use both Leica M and Nikon and there is no question in my mind which
is the more robustly built. I'm sure my 50 summicron will still be going
strong decades from now. My 70-210 Nikon AF will probably be not (based
on similar usage). While lens design may move on in the decades to come
(if film can be improved - I think as far as sharpness only is
concerned, you need a slow film and tripod to see the best of any modern
lens), even older Leica lenses hold their own stopped down, so I expect
my current Leica lenses will still perform well in comparison to future
marvels by the time I croak.