Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Telyt 400 Televit-r Rapid focus use
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:17:05 -0800

Robert Stevens wrote:

>I got my 400 5.6 Televit-R about a month ago with the Leica shoulder stock.
> I think what both you and I are missing is the original shoulder stock
>that bayoneted into the mount just below the lens mount.  This way, the
>camera and stock stay stationary while you use the pistol grip to move the
>lens back and forth, sort of like a trombone.  They way you have it set up,
>the camera will move back and forth in relation to your eye and shoulder
>when focusing. >>>>>>

Hi Robert,

I guess I have the pistol grip that appears something like what you have
screwed to your lens. Your rig gives me the willies as I can't imagine
swinging that around as it appears quite unwieldly.:)

I have a pistol grip that looks like your's, accept mine screws right into
the tripod mount of any Leica lens with a tripod mount. Mine has a micro
switch that is wired and plugs into the motor drive socket, so that I
barely touch the switch and the camera fires one frame at a time or full
bore machine gun like.

The stock from the pistol grip to shoulder is tubular as is the half circle
shoulder stock. I bought this shoulder brace in '69 or '70 and it's the
most efficient shoulder stock I've ever seen. It's light and I use it with
my 280 2.8 most of the time and or when I've got the extenders on up to
800mm. This means I can swing it as a pan action with birds in flight or
athletes running.

I have had the sockets which screw into the motors changed a few times,
Leicaflex motor to R motor and when the R8 motors are available will have
it changed again to fit the R8.

I never took to those telyts that you have as they are too cumbersome and I
found them difficult to handle after my very simple set-up. I can't figure
out why Leica discontinued making the tubular shoulder stocks as they are
so easy to use. Certainly not the least bit cumbersome.
ted

>To adapt mine to having the pistol stock mounted to the moving camera mount
>part, I made an L shaped bracket which I attached to the socket under the
>lens mount.  I then attach the pistol grip-shoulder stock to that bracket.
>I attached the L bracket by using a 1/4" screw and a 10-24 set screw beside
>it ground to fit the keyway so that the bracket doesn't spin.  To attach
>the 1/4 screw into the keyway, I took off the cover to the keyway and
>inserted a 1/4 wing nut with the wings cut off to fit the keyway and put
>the cover back in place.  I suppose a stock shoulder piece is available for
>it, but I assume it is just a bent aluminum rod with no handle or provision
>for a trigger as this lens is pre-motor drive vintage and you would use the
>cameras release.
>
>I put my combo on my flatbed and scanned it to show you what I mean.  I
>hold the focus grip in my left hand and the pistol stock grip in my right
>hand.  To focus, I push in on the focus tension trigger and push or pull
>and then fine tune with the knob by using my left thumb.  I trigger the
>shutter with my right  finger using the remote release on the shoulder stock.
>
>http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/400mm-Televit-r.jpg
>

>As for tripod and monopod, my lens had both 1/4" and 3/8" mountings on the
>forward underside of the lens under the aperture ring.
>
>http://home.iSTAR.ca/~robsteve/400mm-Televit-r-mount.jpg
>
>Maybe any other LUG members that have this lens can describe the proper
>shoulder brace for it.
>
>Regards,
>
>Robert
>

>At 02:42 PM 2/3/99 -0800, you wrote:
>>Xavier:
>>I have the 400 f/5.6 with the fast focus thing (Televit?) and gunstock.
>>It handles just fine.  The pistol grip has a tripod mount that is used
>>by passing a 1/4 x 20 tripod screw through the gunstock mount plate into
>>the pistol grip.  Make sure that your tripod screw is one of those that
>>has a female 1/4 x 20 on its backside.  Without this you can not use the
>>tripod and the gunstock at the same time.  This could be trouble if you
>>wanted to use a monopod at a football game, etc.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant