Subject: Re: [Leica] opinions on Winder (MR-4)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 19:56:57 -0800

Bob Keene wrote:

>What are people's opinions of the MR-4 winder for the M's? Are they
>particularly noisy or useful?
>Are Tom A's manual winders better? (I realize 'better' is subjective,
>but that's what makes everything fun!)
>I'm considering a winder.....>>>>>>>>

Hi Bob,

I offer this advice from someone who has purchased and got rid of 3
winders! They are useless and noisy, completely defeating the complete
reason for using the quiet unobtrusive M camera.

If you want quiet and silence of operation or just plain old fashion
convenience with perfection buy a Tom Abrahamsson Rapid Winder. Piece of
cake to use and extremely effcient.

The extra big bonus is if you are a left eyed photographer as the Rapid
Winder allows you to continue shooting without taking the camera away from
your eye while advancing. Yes of course, so does the battery operated
winder, however you also have the distinction of the world knowing you are
shooting pictures from the winder racket as it clunk thunks each time you
trip the shutter.:(

Besides do you really want to pop for about $900 cdn dollars for a noise
creating apparatus for the world's silent camera? :)

Do yourself a big favour and forget the winder! Talk to Tom! :)
ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant