Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Telyt 400 Televit-r Rapid focus use
From: LEICAMAN56@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 01:05:59 EST

There were two types of shoulder stock for the Televit system.  The earlier
version stock was inserted into a socket on the back side of the Televit just
below the lens mount.  This did not allow the use of a camera with motor
drive.  The later version attached to the bottom of the pistol grip via a
mounting plate.
I use my Televit 400 & 560 without the shoulder stock.  I use a monopod
attached to the base of the lens under the diaphragm ring.  My left hand holds
the pistol grip, my right the camera ready to release the shutter.  My left
index finger releases the button for coarse focus by push-pull of the camera
body held by my right hand.  My left thumb then adjusts the fine focus with
the thumb wheel.  This is as Leica intended and it works quite well.
BTW, I have both camera tubes for my Televit, the R and Visoflex version.  I
can mount an R camera direct on the R tube, or I can use the Viso tube with
the 14167 adapter to mount an R camera.  But what's really interesting is I
can mount a Nikon F4 or F5 to the Viso tube via a custom Leica to Nikon
adapter.  Then I can get the best of both worlds.  High speed motor drive with
focus confirmation with an excellent metering system and Leica optics.  The
Televits are really a bargain, with the more modern Telyts and Nikkors costing
many thousands more.  I use this setup primarily for baseball and I am very
satisfied with the results.

Bill Rosauer