Subject: Re: [Leica] Film most often used
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:06:36 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote:
SNIP

> People did a film survey a month back but it was not indicated what
> people mainly shot, just films for all kinds 0f situations. I shoot
> mainly black and white. My guess is the group might be spit between
> color neg and black and white but come to think of it, who knows? I'd
> like to know.
> Mark Rabiner

Mark and LUG,

I primarily run b&w film through my Leicas. Almost invariably it is TMax
400. Although lately, for a project on the mentally retarded, where I've
been photographing a 10-year old boy who had Downe's Syndrome and is
autistic, I've been using TMax 3200 rated at 1600. The constant use of
the 400 relates back to my newspaper days when my boss insisted we
simplify and use one emulsion and learn it inside out: Less likelihood
for error and you get used to eyeballing your exposures.

That being said, when I travel I use again mostly black & white but I do
keep one body loaded with Kodachrome 64 both for its color and its
archival properties. Lately, however, I do keep a few rolls of E200S
with me for light-challenged situations.

Hope that doesn't add too much to the confusion.

Carl Socolow

p.s. I ran a few rolls of Fuji Super G Plus 800 through my M cameras
last evening at a support group for amputees. The client wanted both
color and black & white so the faster color neg film seemed like the
best compromise.