Subject: Re: [Leica] Solms Tours?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 21:59:18 +0100

Jim:

for your benefit, I am reposting the message I wrote about a Leica
Academy Seminar in English (the first one since many years) in Sept. last
year. Part of it was a tour at the factory.
Best,

Pascal
- --------------------

Hello friends:

As I told you last week, I participated in the Leica Akademie seminar in
English language from Sept 28 till Sept 30. Some have already asked for
information on such LA seminars. This email will give you a few
impressions of the one I attended. First overview of the program and
major events, and then my evaluation.

1. The program and major events
- -----------------------

My wife and me arrived on Sunday Sept 27 in Wetzlar by train. Most
participants were staying at the Hotel Wetzlarer Hof, a three star hotel,
conveniently located in the town of Wetzlar (nearby the town center).
At 7 p.m. all participants were welcomed by Ms Verena Mueller from the
LA, and we had dinner together and could get to know each other better.
There were 12 participants: only 4 Europeans (1 Dane, 1 Brit, 1 Hungarian
and me, 1 Belgian), 1 Australian and 7 Americans. All but two
participants were male. I must surely have been the youngest at 33...

The course started on Monday Sept 28, and the lessons took place at the
Leica factory in Solms. The LA is situated in the same building as the
factory itself and the Customer Service, which is very convenient. When
you enter the building, your arrive in a hall with reception desk, and at
the right there are several glass showcases showing selected Leica gear.
Also, a complete family tree with real cameras is on display, as are some
historic pieces. All around are very nice photographs (enlargements).
Very cosy place.
The LA offices are on the right when you are in the hall, next to a small
coffee bar.

This was the first time since many long years that Leica has taken up
courses in English. After the GI's had left and until now there had only
been courses in German. So this year is the first time courses will be
held in English and French.
Title of the seminar was "experience Leica live. Seminar for amateurs in
English language" and it was focussed on the R8.

On day one (Monday) we were first welcomed by the director of the LA and
writer of several renowned Leica M and R books, Guenther Osterloh. The
courses were given by Francis Pilet and Verena Mueller.
The morning session was on the photographic composition, and the R8
handling and instructions/ light metering. Lunch was taken at the Leica
factory restaurant, as on the other days.
In the afternoon we went back to Wetzlar for our first practical
exercices. These were about focal lenght comparison, perspective
comparison and depth of field comparison.
In the evening we had a very interesting social event, a medieval dinner
at Greifenstein Castle. There was even a machine to stamp coins, and we
all could stamp our own commemmoration coin (1989 - 150 Jahre
Photographie - 75 Jahre Leica Photographie).

Day two (Tuesday) started with a factory tour. Impressive! It was
extremely interesting to see how lenses and cameras are being made. The
amount of hand labor that goes into manufacturing is astounding. No
wonder that prices of Leica equipment are high. When seeing the
adjustments made on each Leica M6, the comparison to mechanical watch
manufacturing came to my mind. Leicas are really pieces of jewellery, and
not just ordinary cameras made by robots.
Interesting to note, as there have been discussions on this issue in the
LUG a while ago, is that Leica uses 4 different glass suppliers. Among
them are 2 European (Schott is one of them) and 2 Japanese companies
(Hoya is one of them). The special glasses are mostly coming from the
European firms. Several of the glass/lenses manufacturing machines are
unique to Leica (the manufacturer of the machine has the obligation not
to sell them to foreign competion).

Thereafter we looked at our slides made on the afternoon before. Many of
them were projected and commented.
In the afternoon we went again to Wetzlar for our second practical
exercise, this time around the subjects of shape and color, people and
architecture photography. As on day one, every participant could choose
any R lenses he/she wanted, but, of course, you had to carry them
yourself! This way I could test the Summilux 35/1.4, the Vario-Elmarit
28-70/3.5-4.5, the Fisheye 16/2.8 and the Vario-Elmar 105-280/4.2.

The evening was concluded with a social event, a dinner at a Turkish
restaurant in Wetzlar.

Day three (Wednesday) was spent on lectures concerning the presentation
of enlargements, information to films and the technical particulars and
use of flashes with the various exposure modes of the R8. In the
afternoon we had a look at our slides made the day before, followed by a
discussion of their qualities/deficiencies.
At the end of the day all participants were awarded a LA certificate.

2. Evaluation
- ---------

This was the first English language seminar since many years. It was
suggested by many that this experience would be continued and even
intensified. Indeed, Leica is planning two English and two French
seminars in '99: one on the R8 and one on the M6. This year was on the R8
only.
It is difficult for Leica to do much more because of the lack of
instructors who are at the same time aware of technicalities and speak
those languages fluently enough
(if they are interested, I would gladly like to offer them my services as
I speak English, French and Dutch fluently and also have a more than
average active knowledge and an excellent passive knowledge of German...).

The main issue with the course was its lack of focus. This is somehow
natural as it was the first course since years. But on the other hand it
was never said exactly beforehand what the program was going to be about.
Moreover, the participants had a very uneven background. Some of them
were quite experienced, both with the R8 and other SLR's, others had no
R8, and still others had an R8 but did not really seem to realize the
full potential of the camera and were still on a very basic level of
photography.
So the seminar had to cater for different tastes and different levels of
experience. As you can already grasp from the description of the program
above, the courses were a bit too general to my taste.
I am using SLR's for 16 years now, and the R8 since April '97, so I had
no need to hear what at occasions was a rewording of what is already in
the R8 instruction booklet (that would be useful for those who are yet
familiar with the R8 only). Also, the focal length, depth of field and
perspective comparisons are not what experienced amateurs would care to
hear.
This is in no way meant to be criticism of the instructors, well to the
contrary. They did an excellent job.

On the other hand, such basic topics are essential for beginners. So
there is clearly  a problem that needs further study. The LA should
either organize different courses geared towards specific users (as they
do with the German language courses which are always on specific topics),
or they should subdivide the group into two (beginners-experienced users).
From what I hear, the seminars in '99 will again be of a general nature
(read: for beginners), and specialized courses in foreign languages are
only envisaged in 2000.

I would also suggest to extend the seminar to 5 days in total. The extra
two days would really be beneficial, as they could be centered around
specific themes like flash photography, people photography, landscapes,
nudes etc.

Otherwise, the seminar was a complete success. It was good to be in
Solms, to visit the factory and to see the "Heimat of the Leica". The
exchanges with other participants were quite interesting.
All lenses could be tested without exception (what dealer offers such an
exquisite opportunity?). I could meet several Leica people I had before
only known by name or via email such as Allan Karadagi from the Leica
Collection department, who is also a LUGnut, and Isabel Ulzenheimer from
the Leica Card section. The exchanges I had with both our instructiors
were also very enlightening. Verena Mueller took the necessary steps so
that the customer service could do a complete check of my R8 with winder
(as a consequence of which they replaced the motorwinder contacts) and my
M6 titanium (controling the accuracy of the shutter speeds). The
equipment was handed over on Monday morning, and was received back on
Wednesday afternoon, free of charge (under international guarantee).

On a different note, I heard many interesting and exciting things about
future developments at Leica which take away most of the scepticism I
have expressed on this forum about the recent Photokina releases. Leica
is certainly not down and out! That was really reassuring.

All in all, I got a very favorable impression from Leica and its people.
Amazing how they still continue to succeed in a world dominated by
cut-throat Japanese competition. Part of the explanation will almost
certainly be due to Leica's size and the devotion of their customers. As
a small (by comparison) camera company there is a very special atmosphere
that is immediately noticeable when you are walking around in the factory
at Solms. This is a place where everybody knows everybody if you know
what I mean. That must have a beneficial effect on the company itself.

I have left Solms and Wetzlar with a sense of regret. This is an exciting
company with insanely great products and great people! How nice it must
be to work in such an environment...

That's it for now. I will put up an extra section on my homepage when the
pictures/slides are developed and let the group know.
:-)

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Who else than Leica could make a camera like the R8 ?
With that unique design and above all: that ergonomics.
Nikon ? Canon ? Nobody but Leica !