Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Leica's Development and Management
From: Patrick Giagnocavo <pgiagnoc@qi.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:29:51 -0500

Eric Welch wrote:

> Dirck is a good photographer, but he's way too invested in this idea to be
> unbiased about it. He is wrong about pros not using film in a couple years,
> there are going to be film users for many years. Even in the high end of
> photojournalism. (Magazines and big papers).

(first posting to this list - Hello everyone!)

What is really happening is that folks are looking at the PC
revolution and automatically assuming that Moore's Law will apply
equally to CCD's.  This has not yet happened, and I feel that it
probably will not for some time.

Basically the way that the CCD yields and pixel density increases
does not exactly map to the way that CPU yields and transistor
density increase.  So the reasoning is fallacious.

Of course there is also the question of memory bandwidth and power
consumption, etc.  Just because you have a CCD that can capture high
res images does not mean that you have a good way to get that image
into memory and then into permanent storage.

./patrick