Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera bags
From: pcb@iac.co.jp (Paul C. Brodek)
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 00:13:44 +0900

Dear LUGgers,

I have been trying to stay out of bag topics because, quite frankly,
what Imelda Marcos was to shoes I am to camera bags.  Pity the poor
LUG addict, not wanting to feed the monkey, and all that.  My
resistance is plumb wore down.  The new LowePro stuff, unfortunately,
looks interesting.  Thanks for the link, Darrell---I think. :-}

I wanted to mention a few bag ideas, mainly for those interested in
maximum compactness and/or mobility....

If you're lucky enough to have a collapsible lens for your Leica, you
can fit a body (with lens collapsed), moderate strap and very compact
light meter into a padded lens case.  I have a Tamrac Extreme Series
(70cm tall x 8cm wide), I think it's supposed to be for a 35mm
telephoto or medium format lens.  LowePro looks to have some cases
that might also work.  The Tamrac has a very sturdy rear loop that
secures at the bottom with velcro and snaps, allowing you to hang it
from your belt or attach it to other bags.  Doubles as a lens pouch;
also good protection for when you need to shove your camera into
another less-protected bag.

Staying with the collapsible lens theme, the newish Billingham
Stowaway Pola bag (21.5cm tall x 20cm wide x 6.5cm deep---the short
but wide one) will fit a body/lens/strap with room for two
back-to-back coupled medium length lenses or one 135mm, plus compact
meter and a couple rolls of film.  No internal dividers, so the lenses
need to be in a pouch, and keeping the meter and extra film in the
main compartment can make it a bit jumbled, but it makes a nice, small
package.  Loops on the back to attach to a belt, but the weight could
lead to trouser drop, which would allow me to clean my lenses with
yet-to-be-retired underwear....

Last hint makes use of all your internal bag divider detrius.  I
haven't found a photo-specific waist/fanny pack that has the quality
strap/suspension setup you find on hiking/climbing waist/fanny packs
(Mountainsmith, Osprey, Overland, etc---Mountainsmith's fancy name for
bum bag, by the way, is Lumbar Pack).  But the hiking/climbing bags
offer little or no padding.  Until you toss in your spare Tamrac,
Domke, LowePro, Billingham, etc dividers.  Then you get padding plus a
bag that stays put when you want it to.  Not so important to me when
I'm driving or taking public transit, but when I'm cycling or hiking
there are times I want my bag to stay out of the way better than the
photo bags do.

Later,

PB

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:52:05 -0000, "Wood, Darrell (London)"
<wooddar@MLE.CO.UK> wrote:

>To those interested.
>
>I have been looking for a flexible camera bag outfit for years for all
>occasions.  I have just purchased some of the new Lowpro Street & Field
>series.  I would recommend it.
>
>http://www.lowepro.com/Default.htm
>
>Hope this is usefull.

Paul C. Brodek