Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: aspherics
From: Mikiro M <arbos@iname.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 22:47:35 +0100

At 0:26 PM +0100 99.1.25, Alan Ball wrote:

>My question: is the reason for maintaining production of very expensive
>ground aspherical lenses due to the size of the glass elements involved
>? Would that explain why there is no R aspherical lens up to now ?

I read so somewhere.  If I remember correctly, the maximum diameter for
glass-mold aspherical lenses is 24 mm or something.  BTW, is there something
special with the design and/or glass of 35 mm Summilux-R (which has no
aspherical element).   Zeiss, Minolta (and others?) have one.

Mikiro Mori
Strasbourg, Europe
Visit my gallery at
http://members.tripod.com/arbos3/cigogne/index.html