Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: aspherics
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:26:56 +0100

Bill,
Thanks for the quotes.

Erwin,
Thanks for the precisions

For what it's worth, I've gone though a little reference scouting
myself...

The following link seems interesting from what looks like a lower end
glass manufacturer's perspective (in 'Czech English'):
http://www.ecoglass.cz/techno.htm  and
http://www.ecoglass.cz/index_e.htm#Aspheric Lens Production

And this from Canon:
QUOTE
"Depending on the purpose, Canon now uses 4 different aspherical lenses
in its products:
(1) a ground aspherical lens;
(2) a glass-mold aspherical lens;
(3) a high-precision, plastic-mold aspherical lens; and
(4) an ultraviolet cure resin-coated replica lens.
Among them, the wide-bore, ground aspherical lens is employed in the L
lens series for performance improvement. "
UNQUOTE

(1) seems equivalent to the technology used for the 1st 35mm f1.4
aspherical
(2) seems equivalent to the current Leica data sheets.

My question: is the reason for maintaining production of very expensive
ground aspherical lenses due to the size of the glass elements involved
? Would that explain why there is no R aspherical lens up to now ?

On another level, reading the original German version of the text for
the 35mm f2 Asph, I see no mention of 'glass':

QUOTE
"Zum Erreichen dieser außergewöhnlichen Objektivleistung bei zugleich
kompakter Bauweise war der Einsatz einer asphärischen Fläche
unumgänglich. Wie schon im SUMMILUX-M1:1,4/35 mm ASPH. und dem ELMARIT-M
1: 2,8/24 mm ASPH. wird diese von der Kugelform abweichende Fläche
mittels eines modernen „Präzisions-Blankpress-Verfahrens” erzeugt. Dazu
wird ein diamantgedrehtes und poliertes Werkzeug aus einem
keramikartigen Material eingesetzt. Der so entstandene „Prägestempel”
entspricht in umgekehrter Form exakt der endgültigen Oberfläche der
damit zu fertigenden Linse."
UNQUOTE

The text mentions "Fläche", which I translate by "surface". Funny
enough, it does not mention the material used to create that aspherical
surface, though it mentions at length the material used for the mould
itself ("keramikatrigen Material").

A lot of companies avoid using the term 'plastic' or 'resin' and use
'organic glass' instead, or remain silent on the subject. I wonder...if
it really matters at all ?!

Alan