Subject: Re: [Leica] experience buying from tamarkin or chatterton?
From: "James R. Nelon" <JNelon@netvigator.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 13:39:17 +0800

My first (and last) purchase from Tamarkin started out fine and ended up an
expensive mistake. I bought a used 35R f2 from Tamarkin. The lens arrived in
Excellent condition, just as represented. I sent the lens to NJ to have it
ROM'ed. Leica NJ sent me a large estimate to remove a "foreign installed" cam.
They said that the cam was not a Leica one. This made no sense to me. I talked
with Stan Tamarkin who told me to send him the estimate and other correspondence
I had received and he would talk to his "friends" at Leica. That's the last I
ever heard of the issue. And that's the last time I'll deal with Stan Tamarkin
or his operation, even after repeated attempts to resolve the issues.

Jim

Joe Stephenson wrote:

> Dear Buzz,
> What you say about local prices may be true in some areas, but not in
> Albuquerque. the best price I could find here was $250.00 higher than mail
> order. Everyone must decide on what a connection with a local dealer is
> worth, but $250 was over my limit. I still buy many supplies and the like
> locally, and I do what a local dealer, so I try to support them.
> Sincerely,
> Joe Stephenson
>
> +++++++++++
> Buzz wrote:
> Generally, your local dealer will give you exactly the same price as the
> mail order guys for new equipment with the full USA warranty.  Of course,
> you'll have to pay the sales tax, but you will not pay shipping.  To be
> brief, I find the experience of being able to hold and test the equipment
> before I buy and to speak with a knowledgeable dealer to be a worthy part of
> the shopping experience.
>
> Of course, for used equipment one must buy what one can find and your local
> dealer may not have it on hand when you need it.  However, I have asked my
> dealer to keep an eye out for a piece and he has called me when it was in
> and given me a good price each time.
>
> For the record, I shop at New England Photo in Arlington Center,
> Massachusetts.  Talk to Ara.
>
> Buzz Hausner.

- --
James R. Nelon