Subject: [Leica] Noctilux, money etc.
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 08:26:07 +0100

Some comments on the recent Noctilux discussion. Martin asked for people
to show him the images that demonstrate the uniqueness of this lens. Go
to Ted Grant's web site and have a look, or better yet, buy his book.
Also read Erwin Puts's article in Photo Techniques. I am myself a recent
convert to this lens and will soon make a Noctilux section on my web
page to demonstrate its capabilities and flaws. Several other LUGgers
have great Nocti shots on their web pages.

I think that this lens is fantastic because it is so unique and
idiosyncratic. It really forces me to think of the lens characteristics
before shooting, rather than snapping away mindlessly. But it lets me
shoot in situations where a slower lens would not do. It is not simply a
matter of the shutter speed at which you can safely hand-hold. Even if
you have an exceptionally steady hand and can hand-hold your Summicron
at 1/8 sec., you still have subject movement to worry about; in a
typical Noctilux situation, say a dimly lit bar, people are not sitting
still as statues. Sunday night I shot a roll of Fuji Provia 1600 around
Grand Place and in a couple of bars/restaurants, shooting at f1 or f1.4
and speeds like 1/125. It was great, and there are several highly usable
and unique images. This lens really has the capability to pull in
details in the shadows. I am not saying it breaks the laws of physics,
but it really is a unique item and one of the reasons for owning Leica
M. Incidentally, I use it mostly on my M3 for greater focusing accuracy.

As for money, from time to time people make an implication that the
amateurs who buy Leica are rich dilletantes. Without revealing the exact
numbers (it is seven-figure, but I get paid in Belgian Francs ;-) I can
assure the LUG that I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination, and
neither are the LUGgers I have met in person. It is a matter of
priorities. I have chosen to forgo buying a new motorcycle (I had been
drooling over new BMWs more times than I can count). Instead, for
roughly the same amount of money, I have acquired a Leica M outfit with
3 bodies and a fairly complete lens lineup, partly financed by selling
my Hasselblad and one of the SLRs. The stuff is partly second-hand,
partly new. The equipment has made me a better photographer, simply by
rekindling my desire to become better and by allowing me photographic
possibilities which I did not have with previous equipment. If I ever do
get rich, I will buy that BMW motorcycle, with a specially built damped
and padded topcase to carry my Leicas...

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium