Subject: Re: [Leica] Trying to figure a way to get better prices!!!
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:30:03 EST

The concept of buying groups is not new.  It is my guess that most
independently owned camera shops are members of buying groups.   For a buying
group to work effectively the group must be very cohesive.  The only way that
a Leica Buying Group could be successful is to be able to control Leica's
market share.  It has to be a quid pro quo agreement:  "We, the Lugger Group
will do this for you Leica, if you do this for us."   Or, another way to look
at it is; "If you won't give the Lugger Group preferential pricing on Leica
products we will purchase another brand."   I don't think that this would ever
happen.  If the Lugger Group could make this commitment and keep it, I assure
you Leica would be interested.  This changes the whole perspective of the
deal.  Obviously Leica knows that this would not happen, therefore it wouldn't
work.

There are arrangements with the LUG Group that would be prudent for Leica  to
consider.   1.  Quarterly or semi-annual meetings with a LUG Board of
Directors. 2.  A special newsletter (email or hardcopy) directed towards LUG
Members  3.   Quarterly specials on selected products to LUG Members   4.
Perhaps a yearly special edition of a Leica LUG Camera.    5.   Contribution
to the LUG group for  designated causes   6.   A special travel package for
LUG members to viisit Leica in Germany.  7.  Survey of LUG members about Leica
products, present and future.   I am sure there are many more that I have
overlooked.  In my opinion these  would be good marketing strategies by Leica.

I agree with Tom that the implementation of this would be a very time
consuming task.    This group is made up of some very nice, creative and
intelligent people but often disagree on many issues.  There are some things
that make sense but we could never be coordinated efficiently and effectively.
Hmmmmm, on second thought this could be fun!    Who wants to go to Leica
headquarters in New Jersey?

Bob Bedwell

<< This has been suggested.  No follow through.  Who do you propose to do
this?
 If you think this is a good idea, do it.  Set up a business and do it.
 (However, you will find it is quite unworkable).  The logistics and economics
 do not work.

 Tom Shea

 << I don't have a clue how many people are on the LUG list.  However, it
seems
  that it is a pretty huge group with members from everywhere around the
  globe.  To me, such a group of people put together could have some power to
  negotiate better deals on Leica gears directly from the company.  I would
  like to know if any member has already made some approach in that sense.
  Thank you!