Subject: Re: [Leica] R Hard to Focus
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 17:28:14 +0100

John Gong wrote:

> 1.  The Leicas seem to have a blue tint compared to the Nikons.  I consider
> this "feature" a disadvantage as well.  I wonder if anyone could explain
> why Leica does this.

that's funny, I find there is a yellowish tint to the R viewfinder... .

> 2.  The max. aperature of the lenses has an immediate difference.  I might
> imagine that the Nikon lens you use is a 1.4 (very common and inexpensive),
> whereas the Summicron is 2.0 .  That one extra f stop makes a difference.
> Likewise the 28 is slower than the 50, right?

Anyway, this has to do with the peculiar ground glass structure of the
R, which requires getting used to and, maybe, to the wide
demultiplication of the focusing ring of R lenses (in low light, there
are a few millimeters where I cannot easily see focus changing in the
viewfinder with the R8+50mm, while it does really change). Other brands
have a narrower demultiplication: subject gets thrown in and out of
focus very visibly each time you slightly move the ring. These rings are
less precise of course, but they make the shooter more confident while
focusing.

I also find that the R8+50mm summicron is not quite as comfortable to
focus in
low light as a Nikon Fm2 + 50mm f1.8. And I do suppose that a f1.4 would
be easier to use on the R. This will be the reason why I'll purchase a
Summilux 50mm. With wider angles, things must be even worse. That is
true for any brand. The M is unbeatable from 50mm to wider. With longer
lenses, the R is very precise and easy to focus (and so are the other
brands). The R8+100mm f2.8 is a joy to use.

Alan