Subject: Re: [Leica] (w)rotten journalists??
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 09:19:10 +0100

Pascal,

I think you are judging wrongly here. I bet you anything you want that
if any other manufacturer organised such a spectacular national tour and
negociated a similar partnership with the magazine, it would get it.
That Canon tour was a great marketing idea, reminiscent of the
conference and demo tours all big brands (including Leica) used to
organise in the triumphant days of amateur photography.

Again, accepting advertisement from a manufacturer does not imply
dishonesty in the journalist's work.

The same goes for most such events: it is not because Nike sponsors a
soccer championship that the referee, paid by the championship league,
will try to signal a penalty against the team who uses Adidas. If the
Economist sponsorizes a conference, does it mean that the Economist will
adopt the rhetorics of the speakers in its columns ? Or vice-versa ? The
same here: it is not because the CdI team supports a good idea promoted
by Canon that this will translate in the columns of the magazine by
jimmied tests or unethical comments. Their support for the event did not
at any point include any comment on the quality of the gear presented by
the organizer. I find it was a great idea, unfortunately it did not
include Belgium, and that the magazine did well to sponsor it.

Also, it is not because Canon pays 10 pages of ads (is accepting such a
large number of pages not showing a 'hint of favoritism'? ) in every
issue of the magazine that the EOS3 gets a biased treatment. Seems like
the contrary, from what I've been reading in the 2 latest issues ;-)
Seems to me like Canon are real smart and know how to invest their
advertisemnt budget...

That magazine and its team have up to now a fantastic track record of
honesty and competence. It will need confirmed facts of blatant
incompetency, cheating or manipulation for me to withdraw my confidence
in their probity as journalists.

Alan