Subject: [Leica] 'Amateur Photographer' all-time top cameras
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:47:46 +0000

Hi LUGnuts

Though I'm not normally a photo magazine buyer, 'Amateur Photographer's
Collectors' Special' (published 9/1/99 in the UK) caught my eye on the
newstands.

In a readers poll of their all-time favourite cameras, it was a dead heat
between the M6 and the Nikon F2. These readers have some taste, speaking as
an M and an F/F2 owner!

In terms of all-time 'dogs', honours were even between the Olympus FTL SLR
(1971, on sale for about a year and eventually superseded by the brilliant
OM-1), and the Wrayflex , an English-made SLR from the 1950s (total
production 2750).

By manufacturer, Nikon was voted top with 18% of votes, with Leica and
Canon coming second at 14% each.

The whole issue is a fascinating read, covering not only old cameras, but
also old photographs and auctions. Back issues available at UKP2.25 each
from:

John Denton Services
Unit 6
Heron Industrial Estate
Cooks Road
London
E15 2PW
UK

Tel: +181 503 0588

Cheques made payable to 'IPC Magazines'.

Usual commercial disclaimers.

It's nice to know a niche manufacturer like Leica is right up there with
the big boys. Surprisingly no-one voted for the R8, as far as I can see.

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists