Subject: [Leica] RE: Photographer for a radio station.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 12:08:29 -0500

How does one get to be a photographer at a radio station............
Well HCJB is not a typical radio station.  In Quito we record and
broadcast, English, Spanish, Quichua, Portuguese, Russian, Japanese,
French and German programs....  Our Pifo transmitter site is the largest
non-governmental site in the world.  We have designed and built the
majority of our shortwave transmitters, mostly 100KW and a 250KW as well.
(realize that the effective power on our high gain antennas is much more)
 We've also designed and build portable FM transmitters (actual
production is now being licensed to Crown) that are being used to start
radio stations all over the world.  We have two small Hydroelectric
plants that generate the electricity to run our transmitters and provide
some operating funds as well.

But we do a lot more than radio.   We have two hospitals in Ecuador and
six clinics, medical caravans that go out to remote villages, health
development people who train health promoters in remote rural areas. A
television production studio and dubbing facility, pastoral training and
counseling group, our own printing facility, auto repairshop, accredited
media college. (TV, radio and print journalism), multi-track digital
recording studio, accounting, personnel, engineering, ISD, etc. and yes
one-man photography department......  If you can imagine all of the
possible photographic needs that these areas can generate.... you'll
understand why I'm busy.    Add to that slide-duplication, powerpoint
slides, copy work, E-6 and B&W darkroom and now digital scanning,

Realize that we are a not-for profit organization and we have roughly 300
non-paid (missionary) staff in Ecuador and close to 600 employees
throughout Ecuador.  This means we rely on donations and monthly support
for much of our operations,  thus the need for all sorts of images to
help raise funds and report back to our supporters......  Including lots
of family portraits..   My financial support comes 100% from:  my two
home churches, friends, family and acquaintances.    Our W2's are indeed
rather modest compared to what we were earning, but we really do live
comfortably and the eternal benefits are best described as...
well......... heavenly.

The question that usually follows is how one affords Leica on my salary.
Well....fortunately  I spent a lot of money on equipment long before we
came to Ecuador and the sale of rarely used items, a few collectibles and
my Hasselblad system allowed me to buy my EOS kit and what Leica I now
own.  My wife and I set a small amount aside each month towards equipment
and I do sell some B&W images of Ecuador from time to time that go
towards my camera fund.   While I'd like a M-6HM and a new Noctilux like
everyone else on the LUG who does not yet own them  (Thanks a lot Ted,
Tina  and the whole list of other Noctilux users and of course Erwin
"Puts" which incidently is short for "Puts the notion in your head that
you'll not be satisfied with anything but the latest version and
eventually the Noctilux too"  :  )  ) .......I'm not hurting for
equipment.

I'm rambling again....  Must be the caffeine and aspartame in my Diet
Coke.....

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador