Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions over Questions/used Ms
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 11:32:45 -0800

Matthias writes and I respond:

>1)  Seriously, is an older Leica like the M2 (still) fit to
be used -
>what are common problems that need checked/work done ?
>I am not a "pro" and am not planning to take it to the
North Pole but
>I'd like to get a 100% usable camera that will not let me
down.

One of the best overviews on the M series cameras is at
Stephen Gandy's
site:
http://cameraquest.com/mguide.htm

I have an M3 that I have used for more than 30 years.
During that time there has only been two problems.  First
the film counter broke.  The camera still operated...I just
could not tell how many pictures I had taken.  Second, the
x-synchronization became maladjusted.  I would not have been
aware of that  problem since I haven't used the camera with
a flash for at least 25 years.

>2) How do you determine the correct exposure ?  Do most of
you use a
>Leica meter ?  Or a handheld device ?  What kind, reflected
light meter
>???

I prefer to use the Leica MR meter.  This fits on the top
plate and meters about the same area as can be seen using
the 90 mm framelline.  The meter couples to the shutter dial
and you can use it to adjust the shutter speed.  If i carry
a handheld meter, it is usually in incident mode.

>Now, wasn't a big advantage of a RF (Leica) supposed to be
it's speed
>and unobtrusiveness of operation ?  How do you maintain
that speed with
>the need to take a meter reading ?  Do you just take a
"general" reading
>and that  guessing from that, using the expo. latitude of
the film ???

You get into the habit of being aware of what the light is.
Sometimes I will walk down the street taking quick readings
of different subjects just to keep myself aware.

I actually find the M3 faster to use than the M6.  (I need
more practice with the M6).  I find the LEDs distracting and
find myself unnecessarily adjusting the exposure with the
M6.  I moved a roll of slide film from the M3 to the M6
during mid roll during a street faire.  You could not tell
which camera body was used with which picture.

You do not say which part of Germany you are in.  There a
some German LUGGERS that could probably tell you where to
look for good M cameras.

Regards,
Bill Larsen
ohlen@lightspeed.net