Subject: [Leica] Insuring Leica camera equipment
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@istar.ca>
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:51:49 -0400

Greg:
I am asking Greg Locke this specifically because he is on the east coast of
Canada like me, but would be interested in hearing from other Canadian
Luggers.  It is not possible to insure with companies that are not
represented in Canada.

I had tried to insure my camera gear in the spring, but the houshold
insurance company (Royal-Sun) was not interested because of the value of
the items such as the 400 2.8.  They suggested I get commercial insurance.
What do you have and what does it cover and cost?  What is the insurance
company?

As it is now, I am insured for theft, but not perils or damage.  I want to
do some more nature photography but it worries me to put on a set of hip
waders and take a $12,000 lens into a swamp to get some duck pictures.  I
just say to myself now, how expensive could it be to fix if I drop it in
the water.  What really scares me is when I am around salt water, which is
where the Blue Herons hang out.  I know if I soak either camera or lens,
they not be repairable.

Regards,

Robert