Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron cleaning marks. Another thing to check
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 1999 09:09:38 -0700

Carl,
If I were selling lenses I would probably say what the person at Tamarkin
said, and I am not implying anything about Tamarkin or its people. It's just
that the pen light test does show everything. That is its value. It is up to
the person making the test not to over-react to every mote and bit of fluff.
However, an outright cloudy appearance does indicate the need for
disassembly cleaning.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson

+++++++++++
Carl wrote:
Joe,
I was told by one of the salespeople at Tamarkin that this is an invalid
test,
that shining a light through a lens will show up every piece of dirt and
crap
and debris and that it's better to look through the lens towards an even
light
source. That being said, I always look through a lens I'm considering with a
penlight.
Carl Socolow