Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron cleaning marks. Another thing to check
From: "Joe Stephenson" <joeleica@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 19:51:23 -0700

Terry,
It occured to me to add that it is a good idea to shine a pen light through
older Leica lenses. They sometimes have a cloudy layer on the internal
surfaces, apparently related to an animal-based lubricant used in the past.
It is hardly visible shen holding the lense up to the light, but is quite
evident with the penlight test. It will cause substantial flare and loss of
contrast. The lens can be cleaned, but the cost of cleaning needs to be
factored into reckoning the lneses' value.
Sincerely,
Joe Stephenson