Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron cleaning marks. Another thing to check
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 22:17:38 -0600 (CST)

Hehehehehe----this is the best one yet!  I  >BET< Tamarkin wants you
to look through the lens at an even surface!!  Better yet, look at
everything with soft/even flourescent light!!!  I've NEVER seen
a serious flaw in a lens using these tests!!

Yes, the "penlight test" is BRUTAL!!!  Anal retentives will have to
learn to DEAL with a lil' dust  >IN NEW LENSES!!!< when doing the
flashlight test!  But you want to first SEE all the flaws, consider
the price and what effect they'll have (usually NONE) and then
IGNORE the flaws and make pictures (thanks, Ted).

But yeah, buddy, I BET ol' Stan and his cronies don't want ya pulling
out that penlight and looking at his "instruments"!!  --  Hell on
buisiness at those prices......See Chatterton (high but DAMN fine
gentleman) or Kuehl (same, kinda "looser" personality)  -- bought
cameras/lenses from both, they're great folks.

Here's my test -- use the flashlight/small desk lamp and SEE all the
flaws....then look at a flourescent light fixture or WELL lit
wall and if ya can't see the same flaws, ignore them.  And remember,
as many wise folks here have stated, haze/fog and even/fine scratches
are MUCH more degrading than even a BIG single ding/gouge....by the
one with the 1/2" single mega scratch -- shoot it forever, just
don't try to sell it. :) (particularly applies to lenses 50 or longer..
you might want to test a 21 at small stops if there's a major gouge..
I doubt you'd see any problems, but try a 12ex just to be sure.....

CU later and Happy NY<
Walt