Subject: Re: [Leica] Marc v. Walter
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 18:50:26 EST

Hi All,

In a message dated 12/31/1998 6:23:31 PM EST, walt writes:

<< I'd get along with Marc just like my friend Stu.....we been
 arguing for nearly 10 years.....I know I won't leave in
 a huff, all my best friends are assholes.....Hi, Will....

 Happy holidays to you AND Marc....... >>

Heh heh. And don't y'all forget it.

Actually, Ernie posted my message before I could. I've been on this list for a
good long time now, and believe I've gotten to know Marc a little in the
process. I've known Walter for amost 15 years. I like both of you. I agree
that you fellows have a lot more in common than not! What I think we're seeing
is the result of the fact that Marc is an attourney, a class of people
immediately suspect anywhere in Texas, who lives in the Northeast, and area
also immediately suspect. Walter is of course a Texan. In other words, we have
a cultural clash going on here.

As for the serial number question, a local dealer here in Denver has had this
happen to him: A person obtains the serial number of a camera new to the store
- - he may have another person come in and get it, see it on line, whatever. He
then files a report with an out of town police department citing that piece
and serial number, claiming the item was stolen "several weeks ago," or he
"just discovered it was missing from his car trunk," and he just now is
getting around to filing the report. Next, he "discovers" the camera in the
store and claims it as his stolen property. The dealer, who of course has the
paper work from the person he obtained the camera from, none the less has to
surrender the "stolen" camera to the fraudulent "owner." If the police bother
to sort this out later, the crook is long gone and so is the merchandise.

Of course this is not how things should be done, but it happens. In other
words, sometimes the honest dealers are victims, too.

Now fellows, today is my birthday (getting me closer to being one of those
irrelevant old photographers), so make nice when flaming each other!

Happy New Year to the LUG!

Will von Dauster