Subject: RE: [Leica] Musings on the role of photography
From: Jeffrey Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 12:46:17 -0500

> I am puzzled why modern photographers revere these old names of the
> distant past.  Their images for the most part are second rate when
> compared to the awesome results produced by many current, known and
> unknown, photographers today.

	For the same reason we revere Renoir (Pere & fils), Monet, Pollock,
et cetera, because they were great artists.  If you have to have it
explained to you because looking at their photographs doesn't move you, then
you probably would never understand anyway.

> Perhaps its the mistaken belief that the images are good because they
> were made with ancient unmanagable equipment.  Which is ridiculous, of
> course, because an image must stand alone regardless of what or even
> who made it.

	See above.

> I wonder how many of the old masters would succeed with todays
> competition if they (hypothetically) had to start now.  I suspect that
> the versatility of modern equipment would render their flair for
> peeling paint pictures totally obsolete.

	Do you take pictures with the narrative quality of Salgado or Gordon
Parks?

> Regards and a Happy New year

	Regards and  a Happy New Year

> Alan Hull